Hosted by TechSoup partner ASSIST in Manila in Oct. 2014, the Digital Summit for Development Strategies brought together 400 Delegates and 55 speakers and thought-leaders to connect and share innovative, tech-related solutions addressing challenges in five main areas:
- Youth, Education and Employment
- Disaster Management and Climate Change
- and Social Innovation and Enterprises.
Key event highlights included:
- Technology 4 Good panel stressed how important it is to prioritize the spread of digital literacy, to practice resource mapping, and most of all, to develop and nurture partnerships to allow the practice of using technology for good to flourish.
- Breakout Sessions showcasing innovative solutions – over 20 unique projects presented, including: Sparkbiz.ph which helps facilitate collaborations between local government units and investors; PeaceTech, a program that capitalizes on communication technology to bridge the youth of varying cultures; and KidCAMP, an application which can help teachers to tailor their own games and programs, fit for children with Autism.
Beyond being a venue for sharing and connecting, the summit also served as the launching ground for a 3-year technology lab program. This program seeks to provide a platform, both a physical and virtual, where those coming from the developmental sector would be matched with the right professionals that